Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Good NewsLetter - February 2022

 

        
       Good Newsletter   

February 2022

 

I forgot Valentine’s Day! I had no excuse. There were plenty of reminders. My wife asked, “Should we go out to eat or to a movie for Valentine’s Day next week?” and “Wouldn’t that make a good gift for Valentine’s Day?” Still, I forgot Valentine’s Day.

 

That was five years ago. Thankfully, my loving wife has forgiven me for my mistake.

 

My mistake was relatively minor. But sometimes, we are wronged by others in ways that are very difficult to forgive and impossible to forget. Have you been forsaken by a close friend? Is your connection to parents or children strained? Does your marriage have forbidden subjects, subjects that only reopen old wounds? Forgiveness was offered, but the hurt feelings don’t just disappear. To forgive and forget is what you want, but sometimes the hurt is so deep that after forgiving, you still remember.

 

A friend once told me that every time I hurt or offend anyone, I also offend God. With the strain, my mistakes have placed on other relationships, what hope exists for a good relationship with God? If forgiveness from friends is uncertain, how can I hope for God’s forgiveness?

 

I can have this hope because, thankfully, God thinks differently from the way you and I think. “‘For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,’ declares the Lord” (Isaiah 55:8). The forgiveness won by Jesus’ death on the cross is different. “As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us” (Psalm 103:12). “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more” (Jeremiah 31:34). Through Jesus, God forgives, and God forgets!

 

That is the good news we are reminded of every week when we worship. It is the very best news. We hope you will join us in celebrating God’s forgiveness!

 

 

Upcoming Events at St John

Worship Service:  Sunday at 8:30 AM

Adult Bible Study:  Sunday at 9:45 AM

Visit our website at stjohnev.net

Call us at 651-771-6406

 

No comments:

Post a Comment