Tuesday, April 21, 2020

April 21 devotion

You can watch today's devotion here.


Overlooked blessings…clothing
Matthew 6:28-30
4/21/20
Pastor John C. Berg

28 Why do you worry about clothing? Consider how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin, 29 but I tell you that not even Solomon in all his glory was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will he not clothe you even more, you of little faith?
This is your daily devotion for April 21st. The current theme for our devotions is “overlooked blessings.”  I’m going to give you a little overlooked blessing that will lead us to a more significant one:  If you are working from home a fair amount aren’t you loving the dress code?  How are we going to go back to not wearing sweat pants every day?  When I do go to church I try to wear what I used to wear and I feel like my clothes are trying to strangle me! 
The greater blessing is that we have clothing at all!  In Matthew 6 Jesus said 28 Why do you worry about clothing? Consider how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin, 29 but I tell you that not even Solomon in all his glory was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will he not clothe you even more, you of little faith?  Overlooked blessing?  How about the fact that most of us have never had to seriously think about if we will have clothing?  Our closets are full.  Going out and buying some more clothes is usually not a very big deal for most of us.
This is a picture my mother sent me to use as a moment of joy, but I think it works really well to illustrate Jesus’ point.  Is that not a stunningly beautiful flower?  Trust that your God loves you more than he does a plant.  He’s proven that to you your whole life by providing you with so much clothing.  And yes, right now he’s really blessing us with stretchy fabric and elastic waist bands! 

We pray:  Heavenly Father, open our eyes to see the many blessing we’ve received that we often overlook.  Thank you for this simple but crucial blessing of clothing.  Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment